Skip Navigation LinksCharging-and-Remission-






The Governing Body recognises the valuable contribution that a wide range of additional activities, including clubs, trips and residential experiences can make towards pupils' personal and social education.  We therefore aim to promote and provide such activities both as a part of a broad and balanced curriculum for the pupils and as additional optional activities.


The Governing Body reserves the right to make a charge for activities organised by the school, including school journeys in school time and the board and lodging element of residential trips organised for older pupils.


Parents will usually be invited to make a voluntary contribution towards the cost of the varied additional activities organised for pupils to enrich their learning, eg. theatre or music groups.  Parents are under no obligation to make a voluntary contribution and pupils will not be treated differently if no contribution is made.  Parents should be aware that if insufficient funds are  received by a certain date, then the activity may have to be cancelled.

No child will be excluded from activities on financial grounds.

Charges may be made for materials used in various after-school activities, eg. cookery, art,  craftwork, etc,  to cover costs.  Charges will not usually be made for materials used in normal daily curriculum activities. 

Some after school sporting activities delivered by independent tutors/companies may be liable to a charge by that organisation.

Individual music tuition which takes place in or out of school hours will be charged for through the County Music Service.


Remission of Charges

Children whose parents are in receipt of the following support payments will, in addition to having a free school lunch entitlement, also be entitled to the remission of charges for board and lodging costs during residential school trips.  The relevant support payments are:


  • Income Support;
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based);
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
  • The Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit;
  • Child Tax Credit, without Working Tax Credit and whose annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) is not more than £16,190.
  • Working Tax Credit 'run-on' – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.

    In addition, those parents whose children are registered for Free School Meals may apply for
  • concessions with school trips
  • help with funding for after-school clubs
  • music tuition / sports coaching

    If there are circumstances which mean that a family feels unable to contribute, then parents are invited to apply in confidence to the Governors, via the Headteacher, for the remission of charges in part or in full.  The Headteacher, in consultation with the governors, will authorise remissions.

    HPS/GB/ 04/2017