Skip Navigation LinksSEND


 Hankham Primary School SEN Information Report / SEND offer




  1. How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


    We assess each pupil's current skills and levels of attainment on entry. Visits are made to nursery providers and we share information about the additional needs of individual children at transition meetings before they enter the Reception class.  We work closely with the Early Years Teaching and Support Service and with other schools and outside services when children are transferring to the school.


    We ensure that all children have access to quality first teaching and class teachers aim to identify any potential barriers to learning at an early stage. Class teachers make regular assessments of progress for all pupils and where pupils are falling behind or not making adequate progress given their age and starting point, they will be given extra support.


    The progress of all children, including those with SEN, is tracked and children who are not making the expected progress are identified and additional 1:1 or small group work is provided, such as Wave 3 maths, Quest Literacy support, Personalised Reading, Friendship Groups etc. This is in addition to the differentiated work that is provided in class. Differentiation means that lessons are planned to take account of different learning styles.



    2. How will the school support my child?

    The class teacher is responsible for:
  • checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any adapted and additional help your child may need, and letting the SENCO/Inclusion Manager know as necessary;
  • writing Individual Provision maps and sharing and reviewing these with parents;
  • ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress; this may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources;
  • ensuring that the school's SEN Policy is followed in their classroom, and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

    The SENCO/Inclusion Manager is responsible for:
  • co-ordinating all the provision for children with special educational needs and developing the school's SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school;
  • ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child's learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing;
  • working with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child's learning, e.g. speech and language therapy, educational psychology South Downs Outreach (ASD) etc.;
  • updating the school's SEN register/Provision Map (a system for ensuring all the SEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are good records of your child's progress and needs;
  • providing advice and support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEN achieve the best progress possible.

    The Headteacher is responsible for:
  • the day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the provision for children with SEN;
  • ensuring that your child's needs are met, working with the class teacher and SENCO;
  • making sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN.

    The SEN governors are responsible for:
  • ensuring that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN;
  • receiving reports and updates from the SENCO;
  • monitoring the effectiveness of the school's SEN provision.



    3.  How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?
  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside services) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child's teacher will have carefully checked on your child's progress and may have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

    If your child is not making the expected progress and has specific gaps in their understanding he/she may work within a smaller group of children. These groups, also called intervention groups, may be run:
  •  in the classroom or an alternative learning area within the school;
  • by a teacher or a trained teaching assistant;
  • by an outside professional (such as a speech and language therapist).

    When children have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school, this may be from:
  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, ESBAS (Education Support, Behaviour and Attendance Service) or SCSN (Service for Children with Sensory Needs - hearing or visual )
  • outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT).

    This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through quality first teaching and intervention groups. This would mean that:
  • your child has been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing more specialist input instead of, or in addition to, quality first teaching and intervention groups (or you will have raised your concerns);
  • you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child's progress and help plan possible ways forward;
  • you may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a speech and language therapist or educational psychologist, and this will help the school and yourself understand your child's particular needs more fully;
  • the specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make additional recommendations.


Specified additional support may be provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.


    4.  How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child's learning?
  • Your child's progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher. Parent teacher consultations are held in October and March during which time targets and the additional support your child is receiving are discussed. We also ask for your views and whether or not there are any specific targets you would like your child to work on.
  • If a teacher is concerned about a child's language skills in Key Stage 1 or 2 then the class teacher will discuss this with the SENCO who will then do an Infant or Junior Language Link assessment with your child to highlight any areas of difficulty. A programme of support will then be discussed with the class teacher, and shared with you.
  • If your child has specific difficulties with reading and/or spelling and has not made the expected progress following other interventions, then the class teacher will speak to you and permission will be sought for the SENCO to do a dyslexia screening test (DST) with your child. If the test shows that your child may be 'at risk' of dyslexia then the SENCO will provide a detailed report to inform you of your child's strengths and difficulties. You will be invited to a meeting with the SENCO/Class teacher to discuss and put together an Action Plan showing how your child will be supported and how you can support your child. 
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an annual review with all adults involved with the child's education.
  • A home/school communication book may be used to support children who are experiencing behaviour difficulties or who have an autistic spectrum diagnosis.
  • A Pupil Voice may be carried out with individual children to seek their views on their learning and progress.


    5.  What support will there be for my child's overall well-being?


    Trained first aiders are available in school (please refer to our Health and Safety Policy).

    The school has a small medical room for first aid. If your child needs medication to be administered in school then you are asked to provide written permission and details.


    The school nurse is available for advice and will give advice to the SENCo regarding a health plan when a child has specific medical needs (e.g. a food allergy/ allergy which may require an epipen). Trained first aiders are available to administer an epipen should this be required.


    The school has a system of sanctions and rewards for behaviour management for all children (please refer to our Behaviour Policy), but additional behaviour management plans can be used where necessary to support individual children who are experiencing difficulties (e.g. using the 'Incredible 5 point scale' to encourage children to monitor their anger management and become more aware of their own emotions and triggers).


    The school runs a system of play leaders and buddies to support social skills development at lunchtimes. Social skills/friendship groups and lunchtime groups may be are in Key Stages 1 and 2. Discussions take place between the staff and the SENCO to identify children who would benefit from these (e.g. to boost self-esteem/teach particular social skills e.g. turn taking etc.).



    6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • The school works as appropriate with the Educational Psychology Service (EPS). 
  • The school nurse works closely with the school and can be contacted for advice regarding children who have a specific medical need.
  • The school works closely with the South Downs Outreach team who provide support and advice for children with an ASD (autistic spectrum) diagnosis.
  • Speech and language therapists come to work with children who have expressive (articulation) and/or receptive language difficulties that are not within the average range.
  • Access to additional support services can be made through the Inclusion Support Service (e.g. ESBAS/SCSN etc.).



7.  What training have the staff supporting children with SEN had or are having?


We have a rolling programme of training and support for staff based on the needs of the pupils within school. Staff are sent on individualised training if they are supporting a pupil with a more specific need.


The SENCO, class teachers and teaching assistants have attended a variety of training courses, including Personalised Learning for Reading, ASD training (Including whole staff online training), Jump Ahead, Dyslexia Awareness, Behaviour Management, Language Link and Speech & Language training.



8.  How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?


All children, including those with SEN, are able to take part in school visits including residential trips. Risk assessments are carried out for all school visits and reasonable adjustments will be made where required. When considering the destination of these trips we will take into account the needs of all children.


An additional adult or individual needs assistant (INA) may be provided for individual children if required.



9. How accessible is the school environment?


Our new building is accessible to children with a physical disability. A disabled toilet facility was provided as part of the new build which was completed in December 2014.


We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

After school clubs and extra-curricular activities are open to all children including those with SEN.


Support is available from TEALS (Traveller and English as an Additional Language Service) who are able to provide a variety of services and resources if required.



10. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, or transfer to a new school?


We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving  to another school:
    • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
    • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • When moving classes in school:
    • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher to discuss your child's strengths and difficulties and the learning methods that have been successful.  Provision maps/targets will be shared with the new teacher.

      If your child would be helped by a book/social story to help them to understand moving on, then it will be provided for them.


      In Reception:
  • The Reception class teacher/teaching assistants will arrange visits to nursery providers to meet and discuss you child.
  • The SENCO may arrange additional visits for children identified as having SEN and additional meetings will be arranged with parents and any other services who have been involved with you child (e.g. The Early Years Teaching and Support Service).

    In Year 6:

    The Year 6 teacher and/or SENCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO/Inclusion Manager of their secondary school.
    • Your child will have focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
    • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


       11.   How are the school's resources allocated and matched to children's special educational needs?
  • The school budget, received from the Local Authority (L.A), includes money for supporting children with SEN.
  • Top up funding is available from the L.A. for children with a Band 02 or above Statement of Special Educational Needs/EHC Plan.
  • The Headteacher decides on the budget for special educational needs and disabilities and this is agreed with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Headteacher and Senior Management Team discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including:
    • the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

      A decision is then made about what resources/training and support is needed.
  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.


    12.   How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?
  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so similar strategies can be used.
  • Plan/Review meetings are held 3 times a year with parents / carers whose children have been identified as having additional needs. 
  • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • The SENCO may seek the advice of outside services (educational psychology, SALT and the ASD Outreach team etc.) if your child has not made the expected progress following initial interventions.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you and the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Your child's targets and provision map will be reviewed regularly and you will be asked if there are any specific targets you feel your child should be working on.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed and made appropriate to your child's individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


    13. How are parents involved in the school?  How can I be involved?

    It is our aim that the school works in close partnership with parents and maintains regular and purposeful communications between school and home. Our communications tools  include:

    · The school website:  

    · Weekly Newsletters informing parents of dates, events and items of school news.

    · A Teachers2Parents text messaging service.

    Parents also receive a termly topic letter which outlines the work your child will be doing in class for that term.


    The school has a thriving parent association known as 'The Friends' who hold social events throughout the year and organise fundraising events to raise money for additional resources.

    14.        How does the school know that provision for SEN pupils is effective?

     Pupil Progress meetings involving the headteacher and class teacher(s) take place throughout the year. This ensures that children who are falling behind or have stopped making progress can immediately be picked up and interventions be put in place where appropriate.


    The school budget received from the Local Authority includes money for supporting pupils with SEN. The Headteacher and Business Manager then decide on the budget for SEN in consultation with school governors and based on the needs of pupils in the school. The school may receive an additional amount of 'top-up' funding for pupils with higher level needs.


    We believe this has benefited our children and their families in the following ways:
  • Accelerated learning for targeted pupils in English and Maths.
  • Support has been provided for parents and carers for children with additional needs and disabilities
  • Emotional support provided for children with a range of needs, including whole class, small group and 1:1 support both in class and at break times.  We believe that by supporting children's wellbeing and minimising emotional barriers they are able to more readily access learning and develop to their full potential


Our complaints procedure is in line with East Sussex County Council Guidelines and is available via the school website.

This year we had 0 complaints regarding SEND and its implementation.

           Challenges this year

Challenges for our school have included changes in staffing due to career moves and personal circumstances. Due to the age and size of the school there was initially a lack of space for intervention groups. We have addressed this through adapting plans in the new build to include an additional dedicated intervention space where the library is now located. We have also provided an additional working area in the new building for 1:1 and small group work. New members of staff are working closely with the SENCO and other members of the SLT to explore training needs and areas of expertise to ensure interventions can continue in a targeted way.

15. What is the impact on outcomes for pupils with SEN?


Yr 6Children working at the expected standard
Progress Scores
Scaled Scores within 1pt of national
Scaled Scores more than 1pt below national average

 Non-SEND (15chd)SEND (3 chd)Non-SEND (15chd)SEND (3 chd)



15.        Who can I contact for further information?

 The class teacher is the first point of contact but parents are also welcome to contact the SENCO about any concerns. Any important information should be shared with the class teacher or SENCO rather than the teaching assistants who may be within the team supporting your child. 

If you are considering applying for a place in this school and your child has special educational needs, then the first action to take is to phone the school and arrange an initial visit with the Headteacher. 




Tel: 01323 763265


This offer was updated and amended in December 2015 but services are regularly reviewed and could change. All information will be updated as soon as possible to reflect any new service offer.

An invite for feedback

This offer/SEN Information Report is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information.

If you would like to comment on the content, or make suggestions to improve the information, please e-mail